- ENR 12…15 dB typical
- High stability
- Good flatness
- No high voltage supply required
- Compact solid state source
- High reliability, rugged construction
- Measurement and test equipment
- Mm-wave noise source
- Noise figure measurement
- Сompatible with noise figure meters for all brand names
ELVA-1’s calibrated noise source ISSN-XX series delivers a uniform level of noise power spectral density within the whole waveguide frequency range. Sources are available in eight waveguide bands covering 26.4-170 GHz. A Silicon IMPATT diode is employed as a fundamental building block of the source. High stability of the device allows it to be used for test and instrumentation applications in place of gas-tube noise sources. Low DC power requirements eliminate the need for complex high voltage supplies. There are two operation modes: CW mode and pulsed AM mode with modulation frequency up to 1 kHz. Typical value of excess noise ratio (ENR) as a function of frequency is given on the plot below.
Block Diagram of Noise Source
Inputs and Controls:
- Power/Triggering Inversion Switch can be used for manual ON/OFF. “INV” position is ON.
- Microwave power can be switched with TTL-level control voltage.
- If Triggering Inversion Switch is in OFF (Down) position active level is high, otherwise (INV position) – active level is low.
- Each source supplied calibrated relative to liquid nitrogen cooled load.
|ENR, dB (nom)||15||14||13||13||13||12||12||12|
|ENR Flatness, dB||±1.0||±1.5||±1.5||±1.5||±1.5||±1.5||±2.0||±2.5|
|Biasing Voltage, V||+18…+28|
|* Cylinder diameter/length (without isolator)|
- Maximum operating temperature is +60 °C
- Diode operating current is 50…100 mA.
- A limiting value of modulation frequency is 1 kHz (external triggering).
- Triggering signal amplitude is TTL level.
- Bias voltage is +18 V It is possible to supply the noise source with +28 V DC biasing for the compatibility with commonly used noise meters.
- External triggering connector is SMA female
- ENR would be increased for narrower bandwidth. Please contact factory.
- For higher frequency models please contact factory.
For the precision control and fast modulation of the output power of the source Voltage Controlled Attenuator VCVA-XX series can be supplied optionallyPower supplies for input power 220 V AC/50Hz, 110 V AC/60Hz or 100 V AC/50Hz are available optionally.
How to order
Specify Model Number ISSN-XX/BW/V, where
XX – number of waveguide standard (Ex. 10 for WR-10 and 06 for WR-06)
BW – operating bandwidth in GHz (nothing if full band)
V – type of power supply: 18 or 28 if external power supply +18 V DC or +28 V DC of customer’s lab will be used (specify voltage), 110 or 220 if external 110 V AC or 220 V AC power supply is requested together with noise source
ISSN-10/28 ( W-band noise source with output waveguide WR-10, full band 75-110 GHz, external power supply +28 V DC not requested
ISSN-06/110-140/220 ( D-band noise source with output waveguide WR-06, operating frequency 110-140 GHz, external 220VAC power supply requested as well